Appium Mobile Automation Framework
Perform mobile and browser test automation and eliminate QA bottlenecks.
Mobile devices are becoming more important than ever as most software designed today are with a mobile-first approach. The demand for automated testing of the mobile apps is becoming significantly greater than before. Automated mobile testing provides the wider test coverage with the scope of creating the large number of complex automated tests along with their execution repeatedly, over a period of time to help improve software quality. Mobile apps development companies face challenges from frequent platform upgrades and limited test coverage by isolated test methods.
Key Challenges for Mobile Testing
There are many challenges to mobile testing. Here are a few:
- Device Diversity: In order to test in 'real-world' conditions it becomes absolutely necessary to test the mobile apps on physical devices. Device diversity and fragmentation with multiple platforms and browsers add to the complexities of testing a mobile apps. Each device tends to have differences, and deciding which devices to test can be a challenge.
- Usability: Most mobile apps are built for adaptive screen design, and therefore needs to be tested to be made accessible across different screen size, resolution and aspect ratios.
- Platform and Hardware challenges: The apps need to be tested on a variety of platforms and communication protocols (WAP, HTTP etc.) with limitations of processing speed and memory size. Frequent platform updates, releases, and platform customizations by OEMs is another key challenge mobile developers need to overcome.
Mobile Test Automation Strategies
Any mobile test automation strategy should factor in:
- Platform compatibility for Agile development for Continuous Delivery with integration with CI and CVS tools.
- Right automation toolset that should support multiple OS platforms (iOS, Android etc.), various programming languages.
- Ease of customizing and incorporating industry best practices to implement quality control and provide an accurate and meaningful test reports and metrics.
- Integration with multiple mobile automation tools to address limitations of any one tool and to derive an optimum cost-value equation.
Trigent's Mobile Automation Framework
Trigent's Mobile Automation Framework comes with pre-integrated automation tool, real devices, additionally leverages the AWS device farm, and easy to setup test environment. The framework provides with a repository of reusable test cases and automation scripts, utilities and functions for data driven automation.
Our customers benefit by leveraging the Device Lab, and additionally automated test execution on the AWS device farm for a large choice of devices and smartphones.
The benefits of Trigent's mobile automation framework:
- Data-driven: The framework conforms to the principle of a Data-Driven Testing (DDT). Input and output values are read from data files; and output/test results is published on the online dashboard.
- Easy maintenance: The test suite contains several test scripts which are independent of each other, the framework is modular making it easy to maintain for during frequent script changes.
- Test libraries: The framework test libraries and utilities provides common methods and functions which can be readily used to automate different apps.
- Reusable framework components: The framework provides reusable components, functions and utilities to test multiple scenarios for large testing and repetitive environments.
- DevOps and Continuous Virtualization for mobile: The framework support continuous delivery for apps backed by cloud services for each stage of the lifecycle and integrates with CI, CVS tools; and run automated tests in production-like environments using virtualized services.
- Low tool investments: Our mobile automation framework is built on Appium, a popular free open-source tool for mobile testing. The framework is a wrapper that translates Selenium commands into iOS and Android commands. No upfront investment needed in tool procurement.
- Multi Device/Platform Parallel Execution: Supports parallel test execution across iOS and Android platforms using the same API on a variety of smartphones, tabs & devices across different versions of operating systems.
Who does this help?
Enterprises and ISVs developing mobile applications for their internal/external stakeholders need to run automated regression suites in order to ensure that the software is validated for the expected quality and defined outcomes. Trigent's mobile automation platform helps businesses address the below challenges:
- Reliability: Mobile apps development companies that want reliable repetition of tests at each stage to ensure uncompromising product quality
- Time to market: Businesses that have invested in mobile app development and strive to shorten innovation cycles and time-to-market
- Automate manual tests: Mobile developers wishing to build automated mobile testing of new projects or apply automation to existing manual mobile testing processes
- Automate APIs & DB Testing: Mobile development companies with applications with large number of APIs to various systems and DBs that need efficient dependency management